Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Super Bowl Thoughts

I am a Redskins fan. I remember watching them win the Superbowl in '92 and have always been a fan, sometimes not as dedicated in my early teens when I didn't realize anger, disappointment, and angst, were necessary to being a good fan. Despite trying to hide my fandom behind various winners in my younger days, I still felt all those negative feelings of a franchise struggling. I also went to a school whose mascot was also the Saints. So I have always felt the New Orleans Saints as a kindred spirit; I even had my parents get me a hat when they were there for a teachers conference last spring. Couple that with the Katrina thing and I think most of America will be rooting for the Saints on the 7th too.

Here are random thoughts I'm not really going to tie together at all:

I hope the Saints take the same "hit him and take a few penalties" approach on Chicken-dancer daddy's boy Manning.

I hope the Saints learn from last week: blitzing and press coverage doesn't work very well. They were shred by the Vikings and the Jets were shred by the Colts.

I don't care that Archie Manning played for the Saints. Sure Peyton and "Unstoppable" Eli have to be grateful the Saints employed their dad as a professional QB affording them the opportunity they have today, but Archie would have played for another team. Also, blood runs deep. There is no way Archie is rooting for anyone but his son. If he shows up in a halfsies jersey like he's Brady Quinn's sister he should be denied entrance and banned from all sporting events. This is the Super Bowl, the line is drawn, pick a side.

This has the potential to be a very high scoring game if the Saints o-line keeps Brees upright. That defense is not stopping Manning and his 4 receivers.

Lucky for the Saints the Colts don't rush the ball well (because they don't need to). And Addai is not 100% (he starts for his pass blocking abilities thought). This favors the Saints because they aren't stellar at stopping the run. However, I'm guessing Indy will use the run more than usual.

Bold Prediction (note sarcasm): the Saint's ability to force turnovers may play a part in this. Manning quietly threw 16 INTs this year (his highest total since 2002).

The Colts defense may be "under-sized" but they don't play like it. What they lack in size they make up for in blinding quickness. They don't blitz, they don't press, they play straight up more often than not. They adjust well; why do you think the Jets didn't score after halftime?

This might be the best "chess-match" Super Bowl ever. What team adjusts better than Coach Manning and his head-set carrier, Jim Caldwell? Is there a more bizzaro coaching combo than Sean Peyton and Gregg Williams; they are mad scientists when it comes to schemes. The Saints have so many different looks its like each game is a new team.

1 comment: